11 April 2012

Flying the ridge this weekend

I know we are a few days away, but there is forecast to be quite a strong Northerly. The sky might also be leaking water.

However, if that wind direction/strength stays, the ridge to the South of the Dee Valley (running towards Ballater) could be working nicely.

It takes a bit of bravery but it can provide some fun flying - and a change from the norm. There are a couple of good fields at the base of the ridge should anyone get stuck.

I will be there on Saturday if anyone wants to ask about the fields at the base of the ridge... I have been in them a couple of times. No field is safe from me.

On that note - I would recommend that EVERY solo pilot does a landout at some point this year. It is really important to keep your skills up in this potentially high risk activity - you never know when you need to do it for anger.

I average 5 per year...... and none of them are planned.

No comments: