08 September 2008

UK Mountain Soaring Champs

Well, its all over.

We enjoyed 5 comp days, and for a change it was all thermal!

Day 1:

We all launched and it soon became clear that the first turnpoint was being rained on badly. We headed down the valley, but when I saw everyone getting VERY low, tucked tail and ran for home. Only one person got around the TP, John Williams, who won the day - with a whole 30 points.

Day 2:

A much better looking day, but with showers still lingering. After a good start, I headed deep into the first sector at Glenfiddich Lodge. The run in was fairly good, and before long I had zoomed along a sea-breeze front into the second sector at Turriff. At this point I looked down track and saw a very uninspiring sky. Rather than head down track in hope, I decided to retrace my steps in soarable-ish air. This detour almost went into the Spey valley, but I came down at Tomintoul. Just enough to win the day.

Day 3:

After a great start, we all headed quite far into the first sector. However, I went racing off with a bit too much enthusiasm, and was soon looking for a climb near Huntly. Robert Tait came down there, and I met Stuart Naylor in R1 at the same height (1000ft approx!) but luckily found a climb to cloudbase. I headed back towards the Tarland bowl, but having flown through a rain shower I lost a lot of height and ended up in Strathdon. 2 mins after landing, Bens dad rocked up so I had lunch with them while waiting for John! Very civilised. Dave Latimer stormed the day, and gave hope to the little ships!

Day 4:

Not my finest performance. After a death glide across a big blue gap, I ended up extremely low near Strathdon. I luckily climbed away, and nicked the sector at Heughhead. I followed a nice cloudstreet down the Dee valley, but again had to cross a gap at Braemar. Unfortunately, the Cirrus just didnt have the legs. I should have been more patient, and waiting for the right time to move, but I ended up in a nice field...third in three days. Very disappointing, as I knew I could have done better. I had to spend a couple minutes in the cockpit just cooling down... Phil King became the next day winner, getting around the task with quite a few others.

Day 5:

Final racing day. The day started gloomy, but by mid day had bubbled up nicely to provide us with a launch. It was an AAT, but I just wanted to get round. Reaching Corgarf, I was low...and below ridge height. Working a little thermal got me to cloudbase and around the TP. I then headed to a cloudstreet along with R1, and we had a storming run down, at an average of 150kph! The street ended 8km from the TP, and after turning back into the 25knot wind I was losing out. Again, I was at ridge height...and with not much to spare, got back into ridge lift. Not wanting to maneuver close to the ground, I carried on down the street, slowly picking up height. R1 was a great help, and after 1 hour 40 I crossed the finish line. Under time, but home. And enough for a joint day win with John Williams.

No comments: